Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I am posting the original recipe that I received but I have changed things when I didn't have them on hand such as the cheese, I've used a mixture of Parmesan and mild cheddar. And I never seem to have time to flatten them so I just just browned them first and then cook them in the oven to finish them off.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup swiss cheese or 2⁄3 cup gruyere or 2⁄3 cup your favorite cheese, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup dry Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges, for garnish
- Pound breasts lightly to flatten to uniform 1/4 inch thick: set aside.
- Sift together flour, salt, nutmeg, and pepper; Have beaten egg in a pie pan. Mix together cheese and bread crumbs; set aside.
- Coat breast halves with seasoned flour, shaking off excess; dip in egg, then in cheese-crumb mixture, coating well.
- In a large, non-stick skillet over MEDIUM heat, melt butter.
- Add chicken and sauté until golden brown on both sides (about 5 minutes per side). Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
* Reviewed for Australian/NZ Forum August 2007 Recipe Swap* We loved our chicken done this way. I used gluten-free flour and GF breadcrumbs. The chicken was so tender and the crust mixture tasted divine. Thanks for sharing a great recipe. Photo also being posted
This recipe is EXCELLENT! It was very easy to make and absolutely delicious. I cannot wait to make it again. I used a blend of 6 italian cheeses shredded. This one is definitely a hit!