Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Taken from homemaker's .com and posted for ZWT. "Quick to prepare, these Swiss cheese croûtes are a wonderful way to start a casual entertaining meal. Served with a salad, they also make a satisfying lunch. Accompany them with the same wine you used to cook them. For a stronger cheese flavour, make them with a mature vacherin from Fribourg or Appenzeller cheese." - Andrew Chase. The addition of wine sounds wonderful! I can't wait to try these!
- On rimmed baking sheet, lightly toast bread in 500F oven, turning halfway through cooking time, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of the wine.
- In large bowl, beat egg, egg yolk, garlic, flour and cayenne until smooth. Whisk in remaining wine; mix in cheese.
- Top bread with cheese mixture; sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
- Return to oven; bake until golden, about 10 minutes.