Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
You can omit the caviar, and sprinkle with herbs, like dill or fresh chopped chives, but don't skimp on the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Otherwise they won't set up right.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 8 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely shredded
- 3 ounces black caviar (I like to use two kinds for color contrast)
- For creme fraiche: In a small saucepan heat whipping cream over low heat until warm (90 degrees F to 100 degrees F).
- Pour into a clean jar.
- Stir in buttermilk, screw on jar lid, and let the mixture stand at room temperature for 24 to 30 hours or until thickened.
- Do not stir.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
- Or you can skip the previous step entirely and buy creme fraiche at your grocer.
- Place a mounded tablespoon of cheese on a nonstick cookie sheet; pat into a 2-inch circle.
- Repeat with remaining cheese, allowing 2 inches between circles.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time in a 400 degree F oven for 3-1/2 to 4 minutes or until bubbly.
- Cool on cookie sheet about 1 minute.
- Remove with a spatula and gently drape over inverted 1-3/4-inch muffin tins to cool and stiffen into cup shapes.
- To serve, invert cheese crisps onto serving platter and top each with a rounded teaspoon of creme fraiche and a rounded 1/4 teaspoon caviar.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes about 24.
I found the same recipe on Better Homes & Gardens and it looked so yummy that we made them. They were very good, however, we thought they needed some chives or shallots to complete them. Thanks for sharing. Diane