Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Best tasting cornbread, because of the jalapeno flavoured havarti cheese!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated jalapeno havarti cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir grated cheese into mixture.
- Whisk eggs with buttermilk and veggie oil in a separate bowl.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Stir wet ingredients into cornmeal mixture just until combined.
- Spoon into well greased 9 inch round or square cake pan.
- Bake on middle rack of oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- (Substitute cheddar or monterey jack for the havarti, but the havarti is so good!).
- While great served warm, this bread has more flavour when eaten at room temperature.
This tasted really good, my only criticism is that in the directions it lists sugar but then it isn't in the ingredient list. It wasn't a big thing, I just looked in Joy of Cooking and decided to add 1 TBSP sugar. It was very easy to make, quick to get in the oven. The flavor was great. We would definately make it again.
I've made this recipe several times and it always turns out heavenly. The combination of the cilantro and cheese goes great with a bowl of chili. And regular cheddar or a Mexican cheese blend is just as good as the jalapeno cheese. It's lowfat too - and can be made even lower if you substitute applesauce for the oil.