Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Quick and simple to make- an old favourite. I'm hoping to convert these to a gluten-free recipe/version soon. Serve in place of a bread roll with dinner
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 30 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup chopped chives
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Add the flour and salt to a large mixing bowl and aerate with a kitchen whisk (or you can sift the flour and salt).
- Rub the butter into the flour using fingertips.
- Stir in chives and cheese.
- Using a knife, cut in the combined milk and water,. Mix to form a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface or your bechtop and knead lightly until smooth, about 30 seconds. Divide mixture into 6 pieces.
- Shape into balls and place on a lightly oiled baking tray. Cut a small cross on top of each ball, sprinkle with flour and bake at 190°C for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with butter.