Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan according to package directions; drain.
- Add the butter; stir until melted.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, except paprika.
- Pour into a lightly greased 2-quart shallow casserole dish; sprinkle paprika lightly over top.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
I was quite skeptical about this one; macaroni and cheese made without milk or cream? I'm pleased to report that it worked just fine, although I would have preferred a slightly creamier dish and next time will likely add a little milk with the eggs. The flavour was wonderful, with the swiss cheese dominating the taste. It was also fast and easy to prepare and -- what a bonus -- it smelled great while it baked in the oven. The only change I made was not to use the onion flakes, as they're not something I keep on hand. Oh, I also had a heavy hand with the grating and likely added a little extra cheese. This made for a great dinner for my son and myself; he had 3 big helpings!
This should get a 10, even a 20. Great taste, creamy, and my kids ate like they were starving, finally a recipe they fight over Great Great recipe miller. thanks.
Excellent and easy. I did add some milk to it and it worked out just right. Extra cheese was also appreciated by my family. I also doubled the recipe so we have just enough for the next day as well.