Recipe by lindseylcw
A french recipe from Elle magazine, a cheese pudding from the Alps. Great lunch served with a green salad and a glass (or 2!) of wine, delicious
Top Review by jkoch960
MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm! Totally loved this dish! I have not had a lot of experience with Gryere Cheese but found this to my liking a lot! And so easy to put together! It is just so creamy and gooey! I could have eaten the whole thing by myself! Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT5 for Ali Baba Babes! Lindsey, on a side note, my sister (diner524) tells me you are from Scotland! I am so fascinated with Scotland! Our father's family is straight from Scotland. We are members of the Cameron Clan. I finally got to visit Scotland 2 years ago and fell in love!
- 400 g gruyere
- 1 loaf French bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1 liter milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 30 g butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cheese into small thin slices.
- thinly slice the bread.
- butter a souffle dish(or similar ovenproof dish).
- fill with alternate layers of bread and cheese.
- Bring milk to boil, beat eggs and take milk off the heat.
- Pour beaten egg slowly into milk, stirring constantly.
- season with salt,pepper and nutmeg and pour over bread and cheese
- leave to soak for 10 mins, occasionally loosening edges with a spatula.
- dot surface with knobs of butter and cook in a hot oven 450F for 40 mins.