Recipe by LorenLou
A very thick, delicious soup. Original recipe supposedly came from the Blackeyed Pea restaurant. I have modified just a bit.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 pint half-and-half cream (I use fat-free)
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the broccoli till tender.
- (I simply throw the unopened bag of broccoli in the microwave, and cook 3 minutes, turning after each minute. Works for me and my microwave, hope it works for you).
- Place half-n-half and water in a dutch oven over low heat.
- (Or you can use a double boiler).
- Add the cheese, cut in chunks, and the salt and pepper (and cayenne if using).
- Heat, stirring, until all the cheese is melted.
- Add broccoli.
- Mix the cornstarch and water, then stir into the cheese mixture, again cooking over low heat until soup thickens.