Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very thick, delicious soup. Original recipe supposedly came from the Blackeyed Pea restaurant. I have modified just a bit.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 pint half-and-half cream (I use fat-free)
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 cup cold water
- Steam the broccoli till tender.
- (I simply throw the unopened bag of broccoli in the microwave, and cook 3 minutes, turning after each minute. Works for me and my microwave, hope it works for you).
- Place half-n-half and water in a dutch oven over low heat.
- (Or you can use a double boiler).
- Add the cheese, cut in chunks, and the salt and pepper (and cayenne if using).
- Heat, stirring, until all the cheese is melted.
- Add broccoli.
- Mix the cornstarch and water, then stir into the cheese mixture, again cooking over low heat until soup thickens.
This is a very good soup. It reminds me of Golden Corral's Cheese Broccoli Soup. My DH has always loved theirs. Will be making this often I'm sure. Thanks for posting this recipe.
Great soup!!!!I did add a little garlic powder and a little extra broccoli....so easy and so flavorful~despite not using butter..Thanks for the recipe~PeggyLynn