Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
So comforting on a chilly day.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 3 -4 green onions, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup light cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- In large pot or Dutch Oven, melt butter over med. heat. Mix in flour, stirring constantly until a thick paste forms. Remove from pot, and set aside.
- In same pot, combine water, bouillon cubes, chicken, broccoli, potato, green onions, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in flour mixture a little bit at a time until soup thickens. Simmer 5 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in cream and sour cream. Mix in cheese, one cup at a time and stir until melted.
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, cut into florets can be used instead of the frozen broccoli.
- Note: You can easily omit the chicken – it won’t be missed. But add another potato in its place.
Sorry, this recipe just didn't come together for me. The soup looked like a mess and didn't taste much better.
I have to say Thank-You!!! This was the best soup I have ever made!! I followed the recipe except for a few minor adjustments. I put sliced carrots in along with all major ingredients. I am a Packer Cheesehead, so may have added just a bit more cheese.... but this recipe was The Bomb-Diggity!! Thanks Bobbie#3!!!!