Recipe by Sue Lau
A nice colorful quick bread with a mild piquant flavor. If you want to punch things up, you could use Fresno and Serrano chiles if you dare, but this one is pretty Clark Kent tame.
Top Review by airedalehippie
Excellent bread! I have made it twice now and my family loves it. Would love to try it with a hotter pepper but as the rest of my family are wimps probably wont do it soon. Ha. Yummmy.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper (no substitutions)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely minced red bell peppers (patted dry)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced green bell peppers (patted dry)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the bottom of a 9x5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- In another small bowl, mix together the buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs, whisking until eggs are lightly beaten.
- Add egg mixture to flour, and mix until just moistened.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven (place pan on a cookie sheet or other flat pan), baking for approximately 40 minutes or unti, a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool the bread 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack.
- Then you can remove the bread from the pan, and serve, either warm or at room temp.
- Store unused portions in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped.