Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A nice colorful quick bread with a mild piquant flavor. If you want to punch things up, you could use Fresno and Serrano chiles if you dare, but this one is pretty Clark Kent tame.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper (no substitutions)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely minced red bell peppers (patted dry)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced green bell peppers (patted dry)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the bottom of a 9x5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- In another small bowl, mix together the buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs, whisking until eggs are lightly beaten.
- Add egg mixture to flour, and mix until just moistened.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven (place pan on a cookie sheet or other flat pan), baking for approximately 40 minutes or unti, a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool the bread 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack.
- Then you can remove the bread from the pan, and serve, either warm or at room temp.
- Store unused portions in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped.
Excellent bread! I have made it twice now and my family loves it. Would love to try it with a hotter pepper but as the rest of my family are wimps probably wont do it soon. Ha. Yummmy.