Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This sounds difficult to make, but really is not. I have served this recipe numerous times and am always asked for the recipe. Also family favorite. Asked for it by grandchildren. You can use other cheeses, but I like the Provolone. I prefer to buy good quality deli cheese and have it sliced, but you can used packaged cheese.
- French bread (long large loaf, not hard crust kind)
- 1 (8 ounce) package provolone cheese, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 lb soft butter
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard (I use Koops Mustard with horseradish)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beau monde seasoning
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut Xs in top of bread almost all the way through to bottom, but leave 1 inch uncut on each end.
- Wrap in foil half way up to support bread (do not cover top).
- Fold cheese and stuff into the x-cuts which form cups.
- Combine seasoning mix (butter, onion, mustard, Beau Monde, lemon juice and poppy seed) and spread on the top.
- Place on cookie sheet on bottom rack of oven.
- Bake at 400 degrees until cheese melts, about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve informally letting guests pull off chunks of bread from loaf.
This has been a family favorite for a long time and I love to make it to welcome new neighbors.