Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packets active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk in a large mixing bowl and allow to proof for 5 minutes, until it begins to form a froth on the surface.
- Add the sugar, butter, and salt and stir to dissolve.
- Add the flour and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the cheese and mix to thoroughly combine.
- Pour the batter into a well greased 1 1/2 quart (1. 5 L) casserole dish and cover loosely with waxed paper.
- Allow to sit at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
The bread was good but I was hoping for more flavor. I think next time I will add a full tsp of salt and possibly some herbs or garlic. I plan to try it with just one packet of yeast. I had overflow issues. The timing was right on and everyone at the party loved it! Another hint: Warm your milk and take 1/2 cup out to dissolve your yeast in. That way if the yeast is inactive you only wasted 1/2 c. of milk instead of 2 cups.
This bread was easy to make and came out pretty good. It had a hard cheesy crust and the inside was moist with little pockets of cheese. I think I'll try 1 packet of yeast next time because 2 packets caused the dough to spill over my 1 1/2 quart dish in the oven.
Very easy and very good. Brought it to a party tonight and every one loved it. Definitely a recommend.