Recipe by evelyn/athens
These are soooooo good. Not something for everyday (well, actually, they CAN be made and frozen, so why not everyday? Oh yeah, my hips!!!) Definitely for a dinner party or special occasion.
Top Review by Scrafano
None of the stores around here sell the frozen blintzes and I've been craving them for so long, had enough today, and decided they can't be that hard to make and sought out a recipe, man it was so worth it. My kids weren't so thrilled when they saw me add cottage cheese, but wow there was nothing left on their plates. the toughest critic is still at work, but she will love it.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups farmer cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 lb cream cheese, softened
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups sour cream
- cherry preserves or blueberry preserves
Directions See How It's Made
- For batter: Combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Whisk in milk, a little at a time, and whisk in eggs until batter is smooth.
- In a 7 inch non-stick pan, melt butter over moderately-high heat.
- Half fill a ¼ cup measure with the batter and, off the heat, pour the batter into the pan.
- Tilt and rotate pan quickly so that batter covers bottom in a thin layer and return any excess back into the bowl.
- Return pan to heat, loosen edge of blintz with a spatula, and cook until underside is browned lightly.
- Turn and brown other side.
- Repeat, using up all of batter.
- For filling: Combine farmers cheese, cream cheese and yolks until almost smooth and beat in sugar, salt, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Spoon 2 tblsps of filling onto blintz; fold in 2 sides and roll up to enclose filling.
- Put seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Repeat, using up all of crepes and filling.
- (blintzes can be made ahead and frozen at this point. Thaw and proceed with recipe.) In each of 2 large skillets, melt 2 tblsps of the butter over moderately-high heat, add blintzes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn carefully and cook until golden and heated through.
- Transfer to a heated platter and serve with sour cream and cherry preserves.