1/1 Photo of Cheese Biscuits & Sausage Gravy
Diane in Nebraska's Note:
I use the lean Jimmy Deans Sausage and don't even have to drain away any grease. This is my own creation. Very easy and so delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 dash salt
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 2 slices kraft American cheese
- 24 ounces Jimmy Dean sausage (50% less fat)
- 1In a medium size saucepan sauté margarine, onions, celery and dash of salt for 5 minutes.
- 2Add sausage and continue to cook until the sausage is fully cooked.
- 3Turn heat down and simmer another 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 5The bottom of the pan will be brown with bits of stuck on meat and flour.
- 6The darker the crumbs stuck to the bottom, the more golden brown the gravy will be.
- 7Remove pan from heat and stir in milk, cream and cheese slices.
- 8Stir until you can not feel anything stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- 9Place back on low heat and bring to a simmer.
- 10The gravy will thicken as it cooks and may need a little extra milk if it is thicker than you like it.
- 11Simmer for 10 minutes or longer, being sure to stir often.
- 12Taste for seasonings, add salt and pepper if desired.
- 13Normally I don't add any as the sausage flavors the gravy just right.
- 14Instructions for Biscuits:Mix milk and lemon juice.
- 15Mix cheese with Bisquick, sugar and garlic salt.
- 16With a fork, stir in milk just until mixed.
- 17Biscuits can be rolled out and cut or just dropped by spoonfuls onto baking sheet.
- 18Bake at 350º for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 19After removing them from the oven, brush with melted margarine/butter if desired.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Biscuits & Sausage Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1087.8
- Calories from Fat 788
- Total Fat 87.6 g
- Saturated Fat 39.8 g
- Cholesterol 208.2 mg
- Sodium 1660.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 30.8 g