Recipe by Judith N.
This savory variation belongs in every serious cook's repertoire. Serve these to a crowd you want to impress! Caution..This makes alot, the two small balls are as big as baseballs! I have been making these for years from a recipe I clipped from a magazine and they are always a hit. Cook time is chill time.
Top Review by pooknnook
I LOVE this recipe so much! I alter it everytime I make it now, depending on what is on hand. I have never used the poppy seeds or the pickle relish. I have also decided I like it better as a dip/spread rather than a ball. The ball is honestly a pain to make and the dip looks very nice! I just spread into an oblong casserole dish and sprinkle the topping on, it looks very nice! I wish I would remember to take a photo of all my things, I remember sometimes but not nearly often enough. I will next time, promise!! Also thinking next time I may try toasting the pecans and making without bacon so that my husband can eat it (he is a vegetarian) Although the bacon REALLY adds so much, I think it might be a big loss to make without, maybe I can just make him his own dish and make a bigger one for everyone else! :-) Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!!!! Oh, and one more thing, this is also good using tortilla chips to eat as well!
- 473.18 ml shredded swiss cheese
- 473.18 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, softened
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 56.69 g jar pimiento
- 29.58 ml sweet pickle relish
- 10 slice bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 118.29 ml finely chopped pecans
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 59.14 ml snipped parsley
- 14.79 ml poppy seed
- assorted cracker
Directions See How It's Made
- Let swiss and cheddar cheeses come to room temperature.
- In a large bowl beat together cream cheese and sour cream till fluffy.
- Beat in swiss cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, undrained pimiento, pickle relish, half of the bacon, 1/4 cup of the pecans, salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill till firm.
- Shape into 1 large or 2 small balls on wax paper.
- In a small bowl combine remaining bacon, pecans, parsley, and poppy seeds.
- Turn mixture out onto clean clean sheet of waxed paper.
- Roll cheese balls in seed mixture to coat.
- Wrap and chill.
- Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- Serve with crackers.