Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
This freezable, family-friendly recipe is economical and has a wonderful comfort-food feel about it. To freeze, cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap, then foil. Will store for 3 months. To serve, thaw for 6 hrs in a cool place. Unwrap and bake at 190C/375F for 50-60 mins until thoroughly heated through.
- 3 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 ounces smoked back bacon, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes, in rich juice
- 20 basil leaves, roughly torn, plus extra to serve if you like
- 9 ounces fresh egg lasagna noodles (check pack for cooking instructions)
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch fresh nutmeg
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- Fry the onions in the oil for about 15 mins until golden. Add the oregano and bacon and fry for 5 mins more, stirring frequently. Tip in the tomatoes, season and bubble uncovered for 5 minutes Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.
- Meanwhile, make the white sauce. Pour the milk into a pan and tip in the butter and flour. Whisk continuously over a moderate heat to incorporate the flour, then simmer, stirring until thickened. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Spoon a third of the tomato sauce on the base of a lasagna dish. Top with a third of the lasagna sheets. Then top with a third sauce, a third lasagna, the last of the tomato sauce and finally the last sheets of lasagna. Pour over the white sauce and scatter with the cheese and an extra grating of nutmeg. Chill. If eating straight away, bake at 190C/375F for 40 mins until golden and bubbling. Scatter with basil, if you like, and serve with a salad and garlic bread.