Recipe by I'mPat
This one was given to me by a girlfriend and it was yummy (we had regular size). Still have to make it myself. I have included cooking the bacon in the cooking time. UPDATE quizzed the girlfriend, she gave the recipe as is not as she does - so o'kay the difference is she used 6 slices of short rindless bacon (which is basically just the bacon meat only - no fat), therefore yes you would need the oil, she felt that way was healthier than the bacon fat.
Top Review by TasteTester
These are great! And an easy way to eat "breakfast on the run." I added an extra strip of bacon and a small amount of sauteed onions. And based on some reviewers' comments, I only used half the amount of mushrooms. The muffins turned out a little dry, but I'm rating them 5 stars because I didn't follow the recipe and add the full amount of mushrooms -- they would have been much moister if I had. I made two batches of these -- one for today and one for the freezer. Thanks, Pat, for posting this terrific recipe!
- 3 slice bacon (rind removed and chopped)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 400 g button mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 354.88 ml plain flour
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt (freshly ground)
- 1.23 ml black pepper (freshly ground)
- 236.59 ml cheese (grated, tasty, cheddar is good)
- 29.58 ml chives (finely chopped)
- 80 g butter (melted)
- 2 eggs (lightly whisked)
- 158.51 ml milk (skim milk was used)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frying pan (skillet) fry bacon over a medium-high heat until light and golden stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Remove to a kitchen paper covered plate.
- Increase heat to high, add oil and mushrooms to the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes till tender and then set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin (regular size) or a 6 texas size (3/4 cup) muffin tin.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt and pepper into a bowl and add cheese and chives and mix together.
- Whisk butter, egg and milk in a jug and pour into dry ingredients, stirring gently until almost combined.
- Fold through the bacon and mushrooms.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes for regular size muffins and about 20 to 25 for texas size.