Top Review by MichelleL71
Thank you for this recipe!! It's fantastic and received rave reviews from my Hungarian and Slovak relatives at Easter yesterday. I'd give it 10 stars if I could!! I have been searching to buy a cheese babka every Easter and given the fact that I live in a predominately Polish community, one would think that would be easy. But I could never find one. I don't make yeast breads without my bread maker, so this recipe was exactly what I needed. You would never know that it came from a bread machine. The only problem I had was that my dough cycle didn't beep to add the raisins, etc. I just kneaded that step by hand. Rather than almonds (due to allergies), I topped it with a butter, flour, and brown sugar streusel topping. Delicious!!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 10 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 5 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
Additions to be added at beep of cycle
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup white raisins (soaked in hot apple juice, rum or vodka for 15 minutes and drained) or 1 cup dried cherries (soaked in hot apple juice, rum or vodka for 15 minutes and drained) or 1 cup dried cranberries (soaked in hot apple juice, rum or vodka for 15 minutes and drained)
- 1⁄3 cup almond cookie, crushed into fine crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all wet ingredients to bread machine.
- Top with flour and place yeast, sugar and salt in separate corners.
- Or add the ingredients according to your bread machine.
- Set machine to large loaf, dough cycle and press start.
- At the beep add the zest, cinnamon, cardamom, raisins, and or cranberries.
- Cheese filling:.
- Mix cheese filling ingredients together.
- Prepare pan:.
- Generously butter a fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with fine bread crumbs.
- When cycle has finished remove dough to a floured surface.
- Punch down dough and shape and roll out into a log about 20x 10. Then place cheese filling in the center down the long side of the roll, bringing the sides over to encase the filling. Then place into prepared pan covering with plastic wrap and let rise 60 minutes or till risen to top of pan.
- Brush with eggwash and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 350 for 45-60 minutes.