Recipe by Lavender Lynn
This recipe is from Venezuela. It is from recipes4us.co.uk. It is posted for ZWT4.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
Thus far this is my favorite recipe of the whole CQ 2014 tour! I used a combination of freshly grated sharp white cheddar and parmigiano-reggiano and a tortilla press to form them. Served with salpicon, plain quinoa and peach slices. A KA food processor was great help in blending the ingredients. Enjoyed by all! Next time I definitely need to double the recipe!
- 10 fluid ounces warm water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces masa harina flour
- 4 ounces manchego cheese, grated (pecorino romano can be substituted)
- oil, for shallow frying
- 1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 16 black olives, pitted and halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and gradually add the warm water, mixing to form a stiff dough.
- Add the cheese and knead the dough for a few minutes then form into 4 balls.
- Flatten the balls to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the arepas and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until crisp and golden, turning 3 or 4 times.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- To Serve - split the arepas in half, place on serving plates and garnish with avocado, tomato slices and olives.