Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are delicious squares. The cheese pastry goes very well with the sweetness of the apple jelly. This is a very old recipe that I got back in the 1970's
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 1 cup shredded Velveeta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup apple jelly
- Beat together the butter and velveeta until well blended and creamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder and brown sugar, blending until crumbly.
- Measure 1 1/2 cups into an ungreased 8 inch square pan, and press inches.
- Stir the apple jelly over low heat until easy to spread, then spread it over the crumb base.
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over top evenly.
- Bake at 350*f for 25 minutes.
I loved the idea of being able to use up the extra apple jelly I had from another recipe! These are delicious and a nice mix of apple and cheese flavors. The crust is like a shortbread and so-o-o rich. I didn't have Velveeta so I used 8 oz of cream cheese with 1/2 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese with the butter and flour. This is a very nice recipe. Carole in Orlando