Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Can be made ahead till step 3, refrigerated, and finished the next day. Bring to a boil before continuing.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 3 carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 turnip, finely diced
- 1 large potato, finely diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 10 1⁄2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add onion, leek and garlic, and cook until softened.
- Add flour, cook for 2 minutes, then add a little of the stock and stir well until the flour is incorporated.
- Add the rest of the stock and bring to a boil. Add the rest of the veggies, thyme and bayleaf, and simmer for 30-35 minutes, until all are tender; discard bayleaf.
- Stir in cream and heat gently until hot.
- Add the cheese a handful at a time, mixing well between additions to melt the cheese; do NOT boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; serve garnished with parsley or some flavored oil.