Recipe by Abby Girl
This is wonderful with steak. A bit fussy, but most of the prep work can be done ahead of time
- 3 large potatoes, shredded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred the potatoes and soak them in water -- changing the water occasionally. Drain well and press out as much moisture into a towel.
- Heat a small cast iron skillet (or small skillet) until hot. Add olive oil and heat until hot. Add onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes until golden. Remove to a side plate. (this can be done ahead of time) Reheat the skillet.
- Add half the butter. Press half the potatoes into the skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add onion/garlic mixture. Sprinkle cheese over top then add rest of the potatoes (you may not need the whole amount). Brown for 5 minutes on moderately high heat.
- Lower heat to medium and cook covered for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 - 8 minutes longer or until surface is dry.
- Run a spatula under potatoes to check if the pancake is nicely browned. If so, slip a plate over top of skillet and carefully flip over. Melt the remaining butter in the skillet. Slide the potato pancake back onto the skillet and raise the heat to moderate high and brown for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Check under the potatoes to make sure that the bottom of the pancake is nicely browned. If not, cover and cook until the bottom is browned, approximately 5 minutes more.
- Remove and cut into 4 wedges.
- Note: I would not use a large skillet as there is a good chance that you could burn yourself while turning the potatoes over.