Recipe by JanuaryBride
"Here we take the elements of a vegetarian lasagna filling—ricotta, spinach and Parmesan cheese—and nestle them into roasted portobello mushroom caps. The recipe works best with very large portobello caps. . . Serve with a tossed salad and a whole-wheat dinner roll or spaghetti tossed with marinara sauce." Note: After making this dish, I have changed the recipe slightly from the original (increased it to 6 mushrooms from 4, added garlic and chives, then mozarella on top instead of parmesan. If you like spicy stuff, I would recommend adding a few crushed red pepper flakes to the marinara sauce. Recipe from Eating Well.
- 6 large portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon finely minced chives (may substitute green onion)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place mushroom caps, gill-side up, on the prepared pan. Sprinkle with seasoning salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Roast until tender, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash ricotta, spinach, Parmesan, olives, chives, garlic, Italian seasoning and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl.
- Place marinara sauce in a small bowl, cover and microwave on High until hot, 30 to 90 seconds depending on your microwave.
- When the mushrooms are tender, carefully pour out any liquid accumulated in the caps. Return the caps to the pan gill-side up. Spread 1-2 tablespoon marinara into each cap; cover the remaining sauce to keep warm.
- Mound a generous 1/4 - 1/3 cup ricotta filling into each cap (depending on the size) and sprinkle with the mozarella cheese.
- Return stuffed mushrooms to the top rack of the oven and BROIL on high for 3-5 minutes until top is browned. Remove from oven and let stand for 3-5 minutes prior to serving. Serve with the remaining marinara sauce.