Recipe by LtlPhyl #2
The following recipe is courtesy of Giada De Laurentis. Mini phyllo cups would also work well with this filling for smaller bite-size appetizers. Pastry shells may also be made using mini muffin cups with squares of puff pastry or puff pastry sheets may be cut into small squares to form pockets for the filling.
- 12 frozen puff pastry shells, unthawed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1⁄4 cups Fontina cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 -5 green onions, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the frozen pastry shells on the baking sheet and bake until they puff and become golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Using a small knife, cut out the center of the pastry shells.
- Meanwhile, stir the cream, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the spinach, Fontina cheese, Parmesan, and green onions.
- Spoon the spinach mixture into the baked pastry shells.
- Bake until the pastries are golden brown and the filling is hot, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer the pastries to a platter and serve.