Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my oldest sons fav recipe. He is a bit fussy and eats this up. I got the recipe originally from Super Food Ideas magazine. It was originally a cheese and spinach souffle, but mine go a bit flat so it's a pie instead! I have added more cheese and use nutmeg instead of the original paprika. Note:sorry for not adding what cheese I use,was in a hurry when I posted this recipe!I use cheddar but any would be fine.I have also gotten a new oven so the 30 minutes sounds about right.It was hard to put a cooking time before as the oven I had didn't close properly .I'm glad the reviewer liked it,thanks for the gd review :)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup milk, warm
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (250 g) packet frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 -3 cups cheese, grated
- 3 eggs, separated
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Melt butter in large saucepan and add flour. Mix to a smooth paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk and use a whisk to stir to avoid lumps forming, stir until thickened.
- Season with salt and nutmeg.
- Take off heat and quickly whisk in egg yolks 1 at a time.
- Add cheese and spinach and mix together well.
- In a bowl beat egg whites until stiff then fold gently into the cheese mixture.
- Pour into a greased oven dish (I use a quiche dish) and bake until golden and cooked through. Cooking time may vary depending on your oven (mine is dodgy).
- Can also add grated carrot or other veggies.
The end product was very tasty....the three stars are for poor directions. It doesn't say what kind of cheese to use. Cheddar, Provolone, Parmesan? I don't like to have to guess. I used parmesan and it came out great. I used 2 cups and that was perfect. I also wish there was a cooking time here. Even if ovens vary, an approximate one would help. I had to keep opening the oven and checking, which isn't good for souffle like dishes. I found 30 minutes to be adequate. My family very much enjoyed the final result and will make again.