Recipe by katej76
This is my oldest sons fav recipe. He is a bit fussy and eats this up. I got the recipe originally from Super Food Ideas magazine. It was originally a cheese and spinach souffle, but mine go a bit flat so it's a pie instead! I have added more cheese and use nutmeg instead of the original paprika. Note:sorry for not adding what cheese I use,was in a hurry when I posted this recipe!I use cheddar but any would be fine.I have also gotten a new oven so the 30 minutes sounds about right.It was hard to put a cooking time before as the oven I had didn't close properly .I'm glad the reviewer liked it,thanks for the gd review :)
Top Review by LizP
The end product was very tasty....the three stars are for poor directions. It doesn't say what kind of cheese to use. Cheddar, Provolone, Parmesan? I don't like to have to guess. I used parmesan and it came out great. I used 2 cups and that was perfect. I also wish there was a cooking time here. Even if ovens vary, an approximate one would help. I had to keep opening the oven and checking, which isn't good for souffle like dishes. I found 30 minutes to be adequate. My family very much enjoyed the final result and will make again.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup milk, warm
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (250 g) packet frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 -3 cups cheese, grated
- 3 eggs, separated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Melt butter in large saucepan and add flour. Mix to a smooth paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk and use a whisk to stir to avoid lumps forming, stir until thickened.
- Season with salt and nutmeg.
- Take off heat and quickly whisk in egg yolks 1 at a time.
- Add cheese and spinach and mix together well.
- In a bowl beat egg whites until stiff then fold gently into the cheese mixture.
- Pour into a greased oven dish (I use a quiche dish) and bake until golden and cooked through. Cooking time may vary depending on your oven (mine is dodgy).
- Can also add grated carrot or other veggies.