Prep 12 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great served warm for breakfast or as a side to soup.
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spinach, coarsely chopped, stems trimmed off
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, grated
- parmesan cheese, for sprinkling on top
- In large bowl beat milk, butter and egg.
- In a separate bowl stir together flour, 1/4 cup Parmesan, green onion, baking powder and salt.
- Fold flour mixture, spinach and Swiss cheese into milk mixture until just combined.
- Divide evenly among 12 greased muffin cups and sprinkle additional Parmesan on top.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Try decreasing butter to 1/4 cup, increasing green onion to 1/3 cup and spinach to a full cup. Add fresh ground black pepper and 2 Tbsp chopped basil or dill.
These muffins were really yummy! I have made them with swiss and a mild cheddar and they are great both ways. The whole family loved them. Thanks for the great recipe!
These were the best muffins ever! I ate them for breakfast and gave some to the neighbors. They had this light, delicate texture, with a wonderful cheesey flavor. I will make a point of serving these at brunches and teas. I did substitute a Tbsp flax-seed for the egg and add some fresh thyme leaves from the garden.
Outstanding is too mild a word to describe these fantastic muffins!!! Totally delicious, Jo! I did add a leetle California Spices to the batter. Otherwise, followed it to the "T". What possibilities with different cheeses and different additions. THANK YOU for posting!! Made for Muffin Love in Cooking Photos