I combined a Stuffed Jumbo Shell recipe with our favorite Manicotti recipe to make this easy cheese and spinach stuffed shell recipe. Don't be scared by the long ingredient list; it goes together quickly. Cottage cheese is an easy substitute for ricotta cheese. You can also use any spaghetti sauce you'd like, including homemade.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells, uncooked
- 24 ounces small curd cottage cheese (I used lowfat, any kind works)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon (dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 26 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- 3Mix remaining ingredients, except for mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup of parmesan and sauce, in bowl.
- 4Spread about 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- 5Fill each shell with about 1 heaping tablespoon of cottage cheese mixture; layer 1/2 of shells in prepared dish. Spread 1/2 of remaining sauce over the shells; layer remaining filled shells over sauce. Spread remaining sauce over shells.
- 6Sprinkle with reserved parmesan cheese and mozzarella.
- 7Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. It will probably take the full time, though, to heat the shells in the middle.
Browse Our Top Manicotti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Manicotti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese and Spinach Jumbo Shell "manicotti"
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 653.4
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 131.6 mg
- Sodium 1649.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 42.9 g