Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Damper is an Aussie traditional bread. From: Chow Down...Down Under
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces margarine
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor,add the flour,paprika,pepper, sage,and the butter and process, till crumbly.
- Add the evaporated milk and cheese and mix to a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface,knead the dough and shape into a flat ball (8").
- Using a sharp knife,cut almost through the dough(making 8 wedges),brush the top with milk and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and poppy seeds.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
Round loaf of toothy, cheesy, light-brown bread; in this version, breaks into rustic portions that asked for (and got) a slab of fresh butter each. Didn't last long enough to cool in our household. Made for ZWT8.