Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very filling soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 1⁄2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 3⁄4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion in butter until softened. Stir in potatoes and broth, bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Puree potato mixture in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender; return to pot over medium heat. Stir in cream, cheese, dill, pepper, salt and cayenne. Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, 5 minutes.
This is a good, no-frills cheesy potato soup. It's nice and thick. I made this as written, but increased the cayenne pepper a little bit. I partially pureed it using my immersion blender. I sprinkled fresh chives on the top. Yum! Thanx!