Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Bon Appetit, a simple and delicious soup.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 12 ounces russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup ham, chopped
- Tabasco sauce
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add celery, carrot, onion and thyme and saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over and stir 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in broth, then milk.
- Add potato and bring soup to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer soup until potato is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add cheese 1/3 cup at a time, stirring until melted and smooth after each addition.
- Mix in ham. Season soup to taste with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Mmmmmm! Great soup! It has just the right amount of veggies and ham. I made this exactly as written and everyone loved it. Thanx for posting!
I thought one cup of cheese was not enough since the chicken flavor was stronger than the cheese, so I added another cup of cheese and then it was perfect! Thanks for posting the recipe.
DH made this all by himself, so it is a very easy recipe since he hates to cook :) Very ymmy. We omitted the ham, but other than that made as is. Very filling and satisfying. DD ate it also we drained off some of the liquid and made hers more of a mashed potato consistancy.