Recipe by Sandy in California
I've seen a version of this in several vegetarian cookbooks and finally decided to try it last weekend. This was very tasty. I modified the original recipe quite a bit to make more nutritious.
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk (I used soy milk)
- 14 ounces artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 2 cups vegetables (I used carrots, beans and broccoli, cut up small and steamed)
- 2 cups cheese (I used soy, but you can use a mixture of cheddar and guyere)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup gorgonzola or 1⁄2 cup blue cheese
- 8 ounces firm tofu, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and slice. Boil for about 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Heat oil in pan and add onion and garlic. Stir frequently and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more or so until mushrooms start to cook down.
- Stir in flour and cook for another minute. Gradually add the vegetable broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and add artichoke hearts, vegetables, tofu and 1/2 of each of the cheeses. Mix well. Add thyme, salt and pepper and wine to taste.
- Arrange a layer of the potatoes into a greased ovenproof dish. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the top. Cover with the remaining potatoes. Sprinkle the other half of the cheeses on top.
- Bake in a preheated over at 400°F for 30 minutes or until the top is golden and it's bubbling a bit in the middle.