1 hr 10 mins
Sandy in California's Note:
I've seen a version of this in several vegetarian cookbooks and finally decided to try it last weekend. This was very tasty. I modified the original recipe quite a bit to make more nutritious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk (I used soy milk)
- 14 ounces artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 2 cups vegetables (I used carrots, beans and broccoli, cut up small and steamed)
- 2 cups cheese (I used soy, but you can use a mixture of cheddar and guyere)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola or 1/2 cup blue cheese
- 8 ounces firm tofu, sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1Peel potatoes and slice. Boil for about 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- 2Heat oil in pan and add onion and garlic. Stir frequently and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more or so until mushrooms start to cook down.
- 3Stir in flour and cook for another minute. Gradually add the vegetable broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 4Reduce heat and add artichoke hearts, vegetables, tofu and 1/2 of each of the cheeses. Mix well. Add thyme, salt and pepper and wine to taste.
- 5Arrange a layer of the potatoes into a greased ovenproof dish. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the top. Cover with the remaining potatoes. Sprinkle the other half of the cheeses on top.
- 6Bake in a preheated over at 400°F for 30 minutes or until the top is golden and it's bubbling a bit in the middle.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese and Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.3
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 32.7 mg
- Sodium 797.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 17.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: