Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are great with butter and/or jam. I like them straight out of the oven but they are good cold as well.
- 225 g wholemeal self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 40 g reduced fat margarine
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 75 g mature reduced-fat cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 50 g dried pineapple, finely chopped
- 150 ml skim milk
- Preheat oven to 220 deg Celsius. Line a baking tray with non-stick paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Rub in the margarine until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Fold in the dry mustard, cheese and pineapple. Add enough milk to make a fairly soft dough.
- Lightly flour your surface. Turn out your dough and knead lightly. Gently roll out to 2cm (3/4") thickness. Be careful not to overwork. Using a 5cm cutter or glass, stamp out rounds (using even pressure). Move them to the prepared tray.
- Brush tops with milk and bake for about 10 minutes, or until well risen and golden. Cool on wire rack before serving either warm or cold.