Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A very tasty, savoury tart. A green salad alongside and dinner is served.
Make and share this Cheese and Onion Tart recipe from Food.com.
- 314.66 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 88.74 ml cold butter, cut into bits
- 29.58 ml cold Crisco, cut into bits
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 29.58 ml butter
- 85.04 g blue cheese, crumbled
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
- 3 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 177.44 ml firmly packed grated cheddar cheese
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- For crust: Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine flour and salt and cut in butter and Crisco until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 3 tblsps ice water and combine until it forms a ball.
- Flatten into a 6 inch disk and chill it, wrapped in plastic wrap, for 1 hour.
- Roll out to 1/8 inch thick on lightly-floured surface and fit into a 9 inch tart pan.
- Trim edge and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in middle of oven for 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- For filling: Cook onion in butter over moderately-low heat until softened.
- Mash blue cheese with half and half and stir in eggs, Cheddar, onion and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into shell and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F and bake 25 minutes longer.
the filling was very tasty but for some reason it was a bit too watery. i had to bake it an additional 15 minutes and it still wasn't quite set. we did enjoy the flavor of the cheeses and i used a sweet vidalia onion, which lent an nice crunch. this made a lovely lunch with a tossed green salad
A delightful savoury tart! Also like the fact that it's not too big - perfect for my small family! I used margarine instead of Crisco and only 200 ml of cream (as opposed to 240 ml - just because cream comes in 200 ml cartons here!). Baked for 30 minutes after setting the temperature to 350 (175 C) as the tart hadn't browned much at 25 minutes - for me it set perfectly! Thanks for a lovely recipe!