Recipe by wicked cook 46
From Canadian Living. I have not made this yet. Timings are approximate
Top Review by invictus
Really good and very easy to put together. I chose the easiest route I think and baked this in a pie plate. I was feeling a wee bit lazy. I did not need extra flour as others have stated (high altitude issue perhaps?).
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (for topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cheese, onions, sugar, baking soda, salt and cayenne.
- In small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and oil. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir with fork until soft dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. With floured hands, press dough into ball; knead lightly 10 times. Place on greased baking sheet; gently pat out dough into 6-in (15 cm) circle.
- Sprinkle flour over loaf. With sharp knife, score large X on top of loaf. Bake in oven for about 45 minutes or until golden and tester inserted in centre comes out clean.