Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Canadian Living. I have not made this yet. Timings are approximate
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cheese, onions, sugar, baking soda, salt and cayenne.
- In small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and oil. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir with fork until soft dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. With floured hands, press dough into ball; knead lightly 10 times. Place on greased baking sheet; gently pat out dough into 6-in (15 cm) circle.
- Sprinkle flour over loaf. With sharp knife, score large X on top of loaf. Bake in oven for about 45 minutes or until golden and tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
Really good and very easy to put together. I chose the easiest route I think and baked this in a pie plate. I was feeling a wee bit lazy. I did not need extra flour as others have stated (high altitude issue perhaps?).
This is an exceptionally yummy bread! It has a lovely thick and crunchy crust and a fluffy moist interior. The taste of the onions in combination with the cheese is just incredible! I was stunned at how much flavour you can get by using so little ingredients! I too had to add in an extra cup of flour, because my dough was rather sticky, but other than that had no problems whatsoever with the recipe. Thanks so much for sharing this winner with us, wicked! Ill surely make this often again! Made and reviewed for Everyday is a Holiday Tag Game March 2009.
Dh says "this is the best bread ever". I agree on the taste. It is very moist and full of flavor. DD helped me make this. The dough was very sticky and I kneeded in about and additional cup of wheat flour. Mine did start to get a little too brown on the top so I covered the top with foil the last 10 mins of baking. Very yummy and easy to put together.