Recipe by Noo
I used to make this all the time when I first learned to cook, as it's so easy and yummy. We just used to eat it served with some piping hot baked beans for a really cheap and filling meal.
Top Review by ~Nimz~
This was a great side dish but I wanted a little more flavor. I think the bread you choose will make a big difference in this recipe. I used plain white bread. I think I might add some garlic next time. I halved the recipe and still had enough for 2-3 more servings. I baked this at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and I think I'll bake it another 5 or 10 minutes to get a good set on the eggs next time. This recipe has great potential for us. thanks for sharing. Made for PRMR :)
- 2 ounces butter
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed if you like
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 pint single cream
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread most of the butter on the bread and use the rest to grease a 2.5 pint casserole dish.
- Layer the bread, cheese and onion in the dish, finishing with a layer of cheese.
- Whisk the eggs with the remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper to your taste, then pour into the casserole and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Bake in the top of a preheated oven, 200°C/Gas Mark 6 for about 30 minutes.