Recipe by LAURIE
So simple and so filling and good, esp if you like onions! Good with a hearty bowl of soup for a filing lunch. We like it with cream of potatoe soup.
- 4 ounces grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 4 toasted bread rounds (we like a thick sliced heavy bread)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a heavy based saucepan, add ground pepper, do
- not allow butter to brown.
- Add the cornflour and beat like mad
- until a roux like consistency happens, gradually add the milk and.
- continue to cook over a medium heat until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the grated cheese and mix in well, once mixed in add the chopped onions and cook gently for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Spread the cheese and onion mixture onto the toasted bread and place under a pre-heated griller until golden brown.