Recipe by pollen
This recipe comes from England. It goes very well with baked potatoes and a salad.
Top Review by mollypaul
Three ounces of oats is one cup. Three ounces of whole wheat flour is about 3/4 cup. I sauteed the onions in bacon grease, because that's what was in the frying pan and added some smoked turkey (I have a big carnivore in the house and it sounded like a really good fit with the sage), sharp cheddar on top and popped into the oven. I used the milk option. The crust is flavorful, but would benefit from the addition of salt. I had a difficult time getting the pie out of the pan and if I make this again will give the pan a spritz of cooking spray before adding the crust.
- 3 ounces rolled oats
- 3 ounces whole wheat flour
- 3 ounces margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 large onion
- 1 ounce margarine
- 4 ounces grated cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 pint milk or 1⁄2 pint tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- for crust: rub margarine into the flour and oatmeal and mix with the beaten egg.
- press the mixture into a round pie tin 8" in diameter and 2" deep for filling: chop the onion and cook in margarine for a few minutes.
- add the sage, and salt and pepper to taste.
- in a large bowl mix the beaten eggs, milk/juice, and cheese.
- add the onion mixture.
- pour the filling into the crust and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, until the filling is set and golden-brown.