1/1 Photo of Cheese and Mustard Bread
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
Chef Jean's Note:
Found on about.com. This rye yeast bread is stuffed with Swiss Emmenthaler cheese and grainy mustard. Prep time include rise time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of the water; let stand 5 minutes until frothy. Put flours and salt into a large bowl; make a well in the center. Add yeast mixture, remaining water and oil and mix to a soft dough.
- 2Knead on a lightly floured surface about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Put into a clean bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- 3Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. (220 degrees C.).
- 4Punch down dough. Knead dough 2 minutes, then roll into a 12-inch square. Spread with mustard, then sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
- 5Roll up like a jellyroll and place, seam side down, on a floured baking sheet; brush with water and sprinkle with mustard seeds.
- 6Bake 10 minutes; reduce temperature to 400 degrees F. (205 degrees C.) and bake 20 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped underneath. Cool on a wire rack.
- 7Variation: Use 1 cup light beer instead of 1 cup of the water.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese and Mustard Bread
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.8
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 562.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: