Recipe by jeniwan
This is a great dish to serve for company.
Top Review by unmistakable1
These are wonderful -- "a definite keeper", says my husband! I actually found this recipe on the back of a bag of cheese... I think it was Sargento. I thought I would beat someone to posting it, but I guess not. :) I made these up yesterday and served Recipe #199763 and a rice pilaf with almonds alongside. A definite hit with our dinner guests and our family!
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups Italian cheese blend, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves, flattened to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat in large skillet . Add mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Stir 1 cup cheese and lemon pepper into cooled mushroom mixture; spread 1/3 cup mixture onto each chicken breast. Fold chicken lengthwise in half; secure each with 2 wooden picks. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter; dip chicken into butter and roll in crumbs. Place in lightly greased shallow baking dish or pie plate; drizzle with remaining melted butter.
- Bake in preheated 450°F oven 20 minutes or until golden brown and chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Remove wooden picks before serving.