Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great dish to serve for company.
Make and share this Cheese and Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breasts recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups Italian cheese blend, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves, flattened to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat in large skillet . Add mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Stir 1 cup cheese and lemon pepper into cooled mushroom mixture; spread 1/3 cup mixture onto each chicken breast. Fold chicken lengthwise in half; secure each with 2 wooden picks. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter; dip chicken into butter and roll in crumbs. Place in lightly greased shallow baking dish or pie plate; drizzle with remaining melted butter.
- Bake in preheated 450°F oven 20 minutes or until golden brown and chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Remove wooden picks before serving.
These are wonderful -- "a definite keeper", says my husband! I actually found this recipe on the back of a bag of cheese... I think it was Sargento. I thought I would beat someone to posting it, but I guess not. :) I made these up yesterday and served Green Bean Bundles and a rice pilaf with almonds alongside. A definite hit with our dinner guests and our family!
The only change I made was I used thinly sliced chicken. I put half of the chicken in the pan, spread the cheese/mushroom mixture over that, and then put the last of the chicken over it. I avoided using the toothpicks and rolling anything but kept the cheese mixture from drying out. So mine is just a lazier version but I still love this recipe!
This dish was easy and delicious. My husband, who does not often, got this recipe out of my cookbook and tried it. We loved it and my two year old son kept asking for more.