Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma: Breakfast Comforts'
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 orange, zest of
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice or 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 thick slices challah (or other egg bread)
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons orange marmalade
- canola oil or clarified butter, for cooking
- unsalted butter, at room temperature, for serving
- pure maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Have ready a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, orange zest and juice, and vanilla.
- Lay 1 bread slice on a work surface and spread with one-fourth each of the cream cheese and marmalade.
- Top with another slice.
- Repeat with the remaining bread, cream cheese, and marmalade.
- Place a griddle over med-high heat until hot.
- Lightly oil the griddle.
- One at a time, dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture and turn gently to coat evenly, keeping the sandwiches intact.
- Let stand until the bread has soaked up some of the egg mixture, about 30 seconds.
- Remove the sandwiches from the egg mixture, letting the excess drip back into the bowl, and place on the hot griddle.
- Cook until the bottoms are golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Flip the sandwiches and brown the other sides, about 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to the baking sheet.
- When all 4 sandwiches are on the sheet, place the sheet in the oven and bake until the cream cheese, melts, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the French toast sandwiches at once with butter and maple syrup.