Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found in the vegetarian section of Greek Cooking cookbook. This pie, from the Sporades Islands, is different than most because it does not have a crust (most use phyllo).
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks (about 1 lb, chopped)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 11 ounces feta cheese, cubed
- 4 ounces gruyere (or Parmesan cheese, freshly grated)
- 3 -4 tablespoons dill, fresh chopped
- salt and pepper
- lemon wedge
- black olives and radish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute onion in butter and oil until golden.
- Add leeks and cook over low heat for 10 - 12 minute until soft.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch round springform cake pan.
- Sift flour and soda into a bowl.
- Stir in eggs, then yogurt and feta cheese and finally the leek/onion mixture.
- Set aside 2 Tbs of the grated cheese and add the rest to the batter with the dill. Mix well and season.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and level the surface.
- Sprinkle the reserved grated cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let pie cool completely before removing from pan.
- Serve in wedges, drizzled with EVOO, garnished with lemon wedges, olives and radishes.