Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I LOVE GRITS! This is a great recipe and I like to serve this for breakfast with biscuits and gravy and then take a long walk or roll back into bed!
- 1 lb old cheddar cheese, grated (smoked gouda is nice also)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 -6 jalapenos, minced
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup hot grits
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a casserole dish-8 1/2 x 11 Place the hot grits in a large bowl and stir in the cheese, butter, cayenne, garlic, salt and jalapeno peppers.
- Whisk the eggs well and stir into the grit mixture.
- Pour into the casserole dish and bake until set and lightly browned, around 45 minutes.
Very nice recipe! We enjoyed the kick from the jalapeno and cayenne pepper. I only needed two servings, so I scaled down the recipe and baked in two ramekins. Perfect! Thanks for sharing! Made for Culinary Quest '14.
John's mom sent us some grits and I hunted for a recipe, he liked the sound of this one and am I glad he chose this! I have only ever had them with butter and salt&pepper, I like them that way but this opens up a whole new dimension for them, We very much enjoyed this recipe and I want to make it again this weekend I always make a large Sunday breakfast, can't wait!
Made for the FF&F Best of 2014 event & recommended by Vickie, this was like visiting Dallas & having breakfast w/my sister who introduced me to this genre & also serves it w/biscuits & gravy. I used my brought-back-from-the-US supply of grits & Gouda for the cheese, but admit to going light w/the jalapeno for the sake of my DH whose palate is more sensitive than mine. This recipe is a classic. Thx for sharing it w/us.