The flexability in these muffins in in the choice of the herbs. Customize them to fit the meal you are making. Really good!
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel
- 3 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs, minced or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried herbs (of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the beaten egg with the oil and buttermilk.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stil until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in the grated cheese and herbs Divide the batter amont 12 lightly oiled or paper lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one tests clean.
- Cool on a rack, then store in an airtight container as soon as the muffins are at room temperature.
I baked these to use up some yukky bland cheese I had (not cheddar) and they are very very nice! I love the flavour (I used dried basil) and the texture.
Mmmmm, these muffins are super tasty! I made them using Taco Seasoning Mix as my choice of herbs/spices and they came out so flavourful and moist with a nice crunch on top. I luv the slightly sweet flavour the corn kernels give and how it pairs with the cheese. Really good! :) Also these are very quick and easy to put together. Thanks so much for sharing this real winner of a recipe with us, Tish! Ill surely make it often again trying other combinations of fresh or dried herbs.