Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are great for an easy lunch or snack.
- 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup oregano leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 200 g ham, sliced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Place the flour, baking powder and sea salt in a large bowl and mix together well. Make a well in the centre of the flour and gradually add the milk and buttermilk, stirring with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Roll out the dough to a 30cm square.
- Put the tomatoe puree, barbeque sauce and oregano leaves in a bowl and mix to combine, then spread the tomato mixture over the dough and then top with cheese and the ham.
- Roll the dough to enclose the mixture.
- Slice the roll into 15 pieces and place the scrolls side by side onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush the tops of scrolls with the beaten egg and bake for 20 minutes or until scrolls are golden in colour.
These were a huge hit at my house! DH wants me to make them again without the sauce and to see how that would turn out. I also think it would be good with regular pizza sauce as well. I did find the dough messy/sticky while trying to roll up the ham/cheese/sauce. Maybe I didn't use enough flour on my countertop. Either way - they turned out and there were only a few left. We served these with Cauliflower Soup for a very tasty winter meal. Thanks for sharing! Made for the January 2010 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
We have just enjoyed this for lunch with thumbs up all round. I used about 1 3/4 cups of grated cheese and 175 grams of shaved adelphi ham. Personally I felt the tomato flavour was a bit strong but I was the only one. I think the biggest challenge was getting the dough to roll out to a square swear it wanted to go round. Thank you Tisme. Made for Edition 5, Make My Recipe - a game of tag.