Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Any spicy green and mild cheese can be substituted with great success. Very easy but VERY tasty. The dressing is simple so use the best and freshest greens and cheese you can find- I have even used locally produced sheep, goat and cow cheeses- just keep it similar in flavor- like a good queso fresco- thanks cg for the suggestion! The secret is the spicy green with the mild cheese. Keep those two in mind when choosing any substitution. Amazing little salad based on a Whole Foods Recipe. Posted for World Tour 2005.
- 6 cups lettuce, cleaned and torn (any leafy green of choice,watercress would be three bunches)
- 6 ounces brie cheese or 6 ounces cheese, of choice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Divide greens on 4 salad plates.
- Cut cheese into cubes removing rind if preferred. Place on top of greens.
- Whisk together lemon rind, juice and olive oil.
- Drizzle dressing over greens and cheese dividing equally between the 4 plates.
- Salt and pepper (freshly ground is best) if desired.
- Note: Remember when substituting ingredients to pick a spicy green like arugula or rocket and a mild cheese like queso fresco or even a montery jack- not as mild but still would be good here. Let me know what your combos are!
- Thanks Cookgirl for suggesting the queso fresco- we have some great ones made locally.