Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a light souffle like casserole that goes well with a Mexican meal. My mom has been making this for so many years she doesn't remember where she got the recipe. You can adjust the heat by using only one can of chilies or 3 cans, and using mild or hot style green chilies.
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 (6 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In the bottom of a 2-3 quart round and deep casserole dish (NOT greased) layer the cheese and chilies.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg yolk in a small bowl. In another mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff.
- Whisk in the cornstarch to the egg yolks, then the milk. Fold in egg whites.
- Pour egg mixture over the cheese and chilies.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.