Recipe by Bergy
This corn bread goes well with chicken dishes or meat. If there are any left overs wrap well and pop into your freezer. I like the touch of jalapenos but that is up to personal taste
Top Review by Lalaloula
Bergy, this cornbread is absolutely YUMMY!!! I luv the addition of cheese and corn kernels, they make the bread extra moist and tasty. As I didnt have a jalapeno in the house and all the shops were closed, I subbed a green bell pepper for it, which was a nice addition (though definitely not spicy lol). THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this lovely recipe with us. We all enjoyed it a lot and will make it again!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, fat reduced, grated
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt, non fat
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup frozen corn or 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can kernel corn
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, sugar& onion salt, mix well.
- Stir in the cheddar.
- In another bowl whisk together milk, yogurt& egg& jalapeno (if using).
- Combine the egg mixture with the dry ingredients, stir until dry ingredients are just moistened (the batter should be lumpy).
- Pour into a 9" square sprayed with veggie oil.
- Bake in 400F oven for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the pan.
- Cool 10 minutes, cut into squares& serve.
- If you want to make dumplings spoon the batter over your favorite stew and simmer covered for about 10 minutes or until just firm MMmmmmm.