Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This corn bread goes well with chicken dishes or meat. If there are any left overs wrap well and pop into your freezer. I like the touch of jalapenos but that is up to personal taste
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, fat reduced, grated
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt, non fat
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup frozen corn or 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can kernel corn
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- Combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, sugar& onion salt, mix well.
- Stir in the cheddar.
- In another bowl whisk together milk, yogurt& egg& jalapeno (if using).
- Combine the egg mixture with the dry ingredients, stir until dry ingredients are just moistened (the batter should be lumpy).
- Pour into a 9" square sprayed with veggie oil.
- Bake in 400F oven for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the pan.
- Cool 10 minutes, cut into squares& serve.
- If you want to make dumplings spoon the batter over your favorite stew and simmer covered for about 10 minutes or until just firm MMmmmmm.
Bergy, this cornbread is absolutely YUMMY!!! I luv the addition of cheese and corn kernels, they make the bread extra moist and tasty. As I didnt have a jalapeno in the house and all the shops were closed, I subbed a green bell pepper for it, which was a nice addition (though definitely not spicy lol). THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this lovely recipe with us. We all enjoyed it a lot and will make it again!
Very good made the dumplings and served on top of kittencals cheesy kielbasa and beans.recipe226784.Next time we will just add more cheese as we love it.Thanks