Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cut back on saturated fat you may want to replace the butter with poly- or monounsaturated margarine. These are great lunch box snacks for both kids and adults to increase your veggie intake.
- 1 cup fine rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup soy flour
- 1⁄2 cup fine polenta
- 3⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (or lactose-free milk)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup canned corn kernel, drained
- 1⁄2 cup grated zucchini (optional) or 1⁄2 cup courgette (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter, melted
- Sift the flours, polenta, bicarbonate of soda and xanthan gum three times into a large bowl or mix well with a whisk to make sure they are well combined.
- Combine the egg, milk, parmesan, corn and zucchini if using) in a medium bowl. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Stir in the melted butter and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large frying pan over low-medium heat for 2 minutes. Spray with oil then pour in 2 tablespoons of batter for each pikelet.
- Cook for 2–3 minutes until bubbles appear. Flip over and cook a further 2 minutes.