1/2 Photos of Cheese and Chive Scones
bluemoon downunder's Note:
A delicious low-calorie, low-fat version of the Classic Cheese and Chive Scones with healthy low-fat alternatives in the inclusion of the low-fat soft cheese and the skimmed milk. If you wish, you can also use reduced-fat cheddar, but this will seriously compromise the flavour in a way that the other two low fat alternatives do not. Adapted from Parragon's 'Low Fat'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 ounces soft low-fat cheese, with added herbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh snipped chives, plus extra to garnish
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- light spreadable cheese with garlic and herbs
- 1Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF.
- 2Sift the flour, mustard, cayenne and salt in a mixing bowl.
- 3Add the soft cheese to the mixture and mix together until well-combined.
- 4Stir in the snipped chives.
- 5Make a well in the centre of the ingredients and gradually pour in 31/2 fluid ounces of milk, stirring as you pour, until the mixture forms a soft dough.
- 6Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly.
- 7Roll out until 3/4 inch thick and use a 2 inch plain pastry cutter to produce as many rounds as you can.
- 8Transfer the rounds to a baking sheet.
- 9Re-knead the dough trimmings together and roll out again. Stamp out more rounds. You should be able to make 10 scones in total.
- 10Brush the scones with the remaining milk and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- 11Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the scones have risen and are golden.
- 12Transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool.
- 13Serve the scones with a low-fat soft cheese, garnished with chives.
- 14Chef's Note: For sweet scones, omit the mustard, cayenne pepper, chives and grated cheese. Replace the flavoured soft cheese with plain low-fat soft cheese. Add 23/4 ounces currants, sultanas or berries and 1 ounce caster sugar. Serve with low-fat soft cheese and fruit spread.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese and Chive Scones
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.8
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 13.4 mg
- Sodium 836.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 10.5 g