Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I wanted to use up some egg whites, chives and left over cheese I had in the refrigerator so adapted this recipe from Bon Appetit (November 2006)with my changes. The original recipe used whole eggs and cheddar cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, chives, salt and pepper (I used a lot of pepper) in a bowl.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Add egg mixture to pan, cooking for a few minutes until almost set, lifting sides so egg mixture can run under.
- Grate (or sprinkle) cheese over top of eggs (I grated it right over the eggs) and cook a few more minutes until cheese melts.
- Fold 1/3 of the omelet over the center and then the other side over the center.
- Turn omelet onto plate and cut in half or thirds.
What a wonderfully delicious breakfast this made, unfortunately our recent hot weather has adverse effects on my herb garden so used the green part of a young spring onion instead of chives otherwise made as directed. Thank you ellie_ made for Rookies tag game.
PERFECT blend of flavors; I used some sharp cheddar, adding crumbled bacon. Bingo, a wonderful breakfast. Made for the Chive event: French Forum and Farmhouse Cooking: Photo Forum.
I took and already lightened recipe and went all the way with it by using Eggbeaters and fat free cheddar. At this time of year I had to use dried chives so I stirred 1 1/2 tsp into the egg and let them rehydrate for about 15 mins before cooking. I used smoked salt to add a touch of interest and it all came out very nice indeed. A lovely legal breakfast.